Friday, June 22, 2012

Darth Vadar corner

(from 6/22) I am super behind. At least this time, it's not me honing my procrastination skills. There's just too much going on! This morning, I tried buying train tickets online for my next adventures. Key word- tried. European websites apparently don't really care for American cards. Or American cards think they're too good to pay for mere European travel. Either way, authorization was declined. =( My card works everywhere else though. It's an online ticket thing. Happened last year as well.
Earlier today, we had finals. I am finally free! The class was very interesting, and the professor was wonderful. As most students, I didn't care too much for the amount of time the homework required. Luckily, I had a little extra time in which to explore Sevilla. Time I probably should have used for a siesta, but who needs sleep anyway?
Something kind of neat- On my way to school, I pass this corner cafe with a window/counter type thing. Sort of like a "walk through" or "walk up" cafe. It seems to be the favorite police morning joe place because I often see a couple of uniforms at the window. Police scooter parked on the street. Hmm what else is there on the way...? There's a hospital, a ton of restaurants and cafes with outdoor seating (just about every place has outdoor seating). There's this decoration on the corner of one of the buildings that looks like a Darth Vadar outline if you just quickly glance at it. I'll get a picture sometime. There's a little "bazar" or market just down the street from the school. It's run by a Chinese family, I believe, and has just about everything. That's our go to for mid-day snacks if we get hungry during break. If you take a left off Zaragoza, there's Plaza Nueva. There's a perpetual adoration chapel there. On Avenida de la Constitucion, there's the cathedral. It has to be one of the most tourist filled streets in the city. Not surprising though. It's big and in the center of Sevilla. There's also the post office just a bit further down from the cathedral. In front of the cathedral, there are gypsies handing out little green branches as "gifts" and trying to read your palm, for which you are supposed to pay them. All along Constitucion, there are street musicians. They are probably my favorite people on the street. Most of them are playing accordions. Sometimes they sing, but that's usually the ones with guitars. Also on the avenue, carriages. And plenty of them. It's kind of fun to go to the post office to send postcards home. I don't know why. Maybe because we don't do that at home. I saw another protest today! This time in front of a bank. Maybe twenty people. Still, the police stood watch.
Last night, we all got tired of studying so we met up by the churros stand and took a walk. Sevilla at night is so pretty. Especially the view from the bridge. Or if you go over to Triana, on Calle Betis, and find a riverside cafe. Particularly, if it happens to have a great view of the Torro del Oro. I could never get tired of it....

No comments:

Post a Comment