Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Just another Monday

This week, our normal temperatures have returned (40C+), which means our nights are very warm. Perfect for walks around the city. Being a very studious person, I decided to go out instead of pouring over medical Spanish. You only live once, right? (And I promise my grade doesn't suffer.) As I was packing up my purse, I think my guardian angel nudged me to bring my camera, after debating about it for a minute. Good thing I did because I saw some pretty cool stuff that night. Mi hermano español did a bit of a walking tour with commentary on the architecture (por ejemplo- arco polilobulado: a certain type of arch within mudejar- or neomudejar?- architecture) and history (where exactly was the center of the ancient Roman city- at las Setas or Alfalfa? Two theories, you decide.). I don't know how people can live in beautiful cities with such rich history and not be familiar with it. There's a certain pride to coming from a historical place, which is just about every place in Europe. From my own experience, I really enjoyed trying to explain to Carlie the history of my city, Gdansk, and  other places we visited in Poland last summer. So if you ever want to come to Poland with me, it might be difficult to get me to shut up. =) 
Moving on, our next stop was El Rinconcillo, a traditional Sevillan bar. It was founded in 1670 so it's probably one of the oldest places around. The tabs are kept in chalk on the wooden countertops- adds to the charm. I wish I took a photo inside... Oh well, just look it up online. While we were there, some costaleros in their headpieces showed up. Odd, right? Turns out there was procession with the paso de Virgen del Carmen. Band, incense, candles, flowers included. It was pretty incredible to watch the procession come down the narrow street at about 11pm. One of the marches they played was "A ti, Manuel" (if I remember correctly). The procession got us talking about Semana Santa in Sevilla. So many different aspects of it- from the crowds, the brotherhoods related to each paso, the way the costaleros lift it up off the ground and walk, anecdotes relating to the celebrations, the different motivations for attending, and how people react to it. I think I need to come back to see this. I got to see the outside of the church of Jesus de Gran Poder- one of the most important pasos. I think it was for this one- the face of Christ is based on the actual face of a prisoner condemned to die. Fun fact #2: JP2 bestowed upon the church the title of a minor basilica. Turns out Ariel and I went to Mass in a church with the paso of the entombment on Calle Alfonso XIII.
The architecture of Sevilla continues to delight me. People really miss out if they don't look up. The buildings around Alameda de Hercules are particularly pretty, though twenty years ago the area wasn't as nice as it is now.
I think I've run out of things to ramble on about from last night... and I have homework to finish. So hasta luego!

Actually, now that I have internet to post this, I do have an additional comment. While I was walking to the school at 6pm, the pharmacy sign displayed a nice 44C (that's 111F) in the sun. As I passed tourists on the street, I wondered what sort of people would visit Sevilla in July. There's only three options:
1. You obviously did not do your homework.
2. You had absolutely no other choice.
3. You like to walk around cities in this heat and court heat stroke. In which case, there is something seriously wrong with you.
That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment