Sunday, July 1, 2012

¡Campeones!

Although I am not much of a sports fan, I could not be in Spain and not go watch the futbol games! A few weeks ago, the girls and I went to watch Spain vs. Croatia (held in Gdansk!) at Las Setas (an architectural structure with an elevated plaza and a mushroom-like top). They set up a huge screen for people to watch the game. Ariel and I got distracted by ice-cream so we ended up standing in line because, yes, there was security. There were so many people there. Fans with face paint, jerseys, and flags. All super enthusiastic. Everywhere you looked, red and yellow. The HUGE Spanish flag hanging from the Setas looked awesome and just flowed in the wind.

Of course, Spain made it to the Eurocup finals! haha And there was no way I was missing that! Initially, I was going to meet up with my "adopted" intercambio to watch the game at Las Setas. But I guess everyone else had the same idea because one hour before the game even started, there was a line all the way down the street. Quickly ditched that idea. Most restaurants, bars, and cafes have a TV set up inside or outside to watch the game. We ended up watching the game outside but I can't remember the exact location, and you really don't need that info either so that's ok. People got very festive- facepaint, flags, wigs, etc. I even saw a few Italians. haha When the Spaniards scored the first goal, craziness ensued! Sparklers, liquids spilling everywhere, cheers, jumping, and hugging. Yes, soccer is a big deal here. I actually felt a little bad for the Italians when they lost... oh, well. Maybe next time. After the game, the people were super jubiliant. Cheering all the way home, and cars honking all through the night. While I didn't get very into the game (just the way I am), I really enjoyed this aspect of the culture. Especially experiencing it with the locals. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment