Thursday, May 17, 2012

And then there was one...

So it begins- two months abroad. Fancy word, abroad. It certainly doesn't feel so fancy. Stepping off the plane in Poland feels more like arriving at my second home, not a foreign country. The word foreign implies something unknown, which does not apply to Poland. This is my first time traveling completely on my own. I've always had someone with me, even if it was my younger sister. This is both scary and exciting. A new challenge of sorts.

People watching at the airport can be quite interesting. There are people from so many different backgrounds on a single flight- some are traveling for business, some are coming home after visiting friends or family in the US, some are returning to their homeland after years away, and others, like me, are just popping in for a visit.
Random thing I noticed- Facial expressions can roughly differentiate between (born and raised) Americans and non-Americans. Europeans tend to wear a more somber face. It's a bit difficult to explain, but if you look around, you might notice it. Maybe it's just a look in their eyes... I don't know.

Random highlights: At DTW, I ran into the Dux's! We're all headed off to our respective family First Communions.
If you haven't watched "We Bought a Zoo," you should. It is a delightful film. Gives you some things to think about, if you happen to be in the pondering mood. Otherwise, it's just a very enjoyable movie.

Right now, this adventure feels more exhausting than exhilerating- as I'm writing, my body thinks it's 4am...

(Writing from Frankfurt Airport)

No comments:

Post a Comment